- Prevents the development of certain diseases and helps add years to the lifespan.
- Walking provides your dog with your full attention, the thing he desires the most.
- When you walk multiple dogs together, it helps them bond as a pack.
- Regular walks provide your dog with social interaction.
- Walking exposes your dog to a wide variety of situations and weather conditions, which helps to increase his confidence.
Be sure to pay attention to the signals your dog sends you that she’s had enough of walking and the cooler weather. These could include whining, fatigue, disorientation, or extreme anxiety. If your dog displays any of this behavior, cut the walk short and head home.
Walking Benefits You as Well
Regular exercise helps to alleviate depression and the symptoms of Seasonal Affective Disorder, the latter of which is common in Minnesota due to our long, cold winters. It also helps to burn calories and reduces your risk of cancer, heart disease, diabetes, and stroke. Perhaps most importantly, walking your dog every day gives him something to look forward to and helps to strengthen the bond between the two of you.
Please contact us at Chaska Valley Veterinary Clinic with questions about choosing the right leash, how to handle it when your dog tries to pull you, or other common dog walking concerns. Happy trails to you!
Photo Credit: Steve Cole Images / Getty Images